Sunday, July 9, 2017

The Godfather? or The Godfather, Part II?

Hanging out at home on a not-too-long ago rainy Sunday, I decided to go through the "stuff" piled up on my desk. Looking for something on TV to serve as background noise, I found one of the cable movie channels had scheduled "The Godfather," and "The Godfather, Part II" back-to-back.


Although over the years I had seen both movies in theaters and on television, I hadn't watched them back-to-back as they were being shown on this day. Needless to say, the "stuff," remains piled on my desk as my entire Sunday was consumed by the Corleone Family.



Both movies are Best Picture Academy Award winners, with cast members receiving honors (Marlon Brando, Best Actor for "The Godfather"/Robert DeNiro, Best Supporting Actor, "The Godfather, Part II"). On this rainy Sunday, after switching off the television many hours later, I tried -- and failed -- to decide which was the better movie, the first or second "Godfather."

The next day, unable to get the theme song out of my head, I polled my colleagues. Still no consensus. (I didn't include "The Godfather, Part III" in my poll since that film hadn't been shown in the marathon). So, I'm asking you, Readers, which "Godfather" do you feel was the better of the two movies, One or Two?

Please share your thoughts, and have a good week!


(photos c/o facebook.com/thegodfather)

10 comments:

  1. The movies were prime examples of falling in love with the bad guys. The first movie introduced most of us to a lifestyle we never knew about. The Mafia. Doing a favor to have it repaid at a later date. But the storyline was so magnetic, we grew attached to the characters. This affection carried over into the second movie. We wanted them all to have a happy ending, yet knew their lifestyles would never allow it. Even so, we rooted for the criminals. Imagine. That's how well the series was done. Yes, there were characters I wanted to slap, like the guy who cheated on his wife. Or those who stabbed the Don in the back. I can't decide either for movie 2 build on the solid base of movie 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonny was the character who cheated on his wife. Ironically, in "Part II, it was Tom who cheated on his wife. Thanks, Vonnie, for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Angela! Here's my confession: I've never watched these movies. I've seen pieces and know the cast, but never have wanted to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must put on your "to do" list. Thanks, Vicki, for stopping by today.

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh I loved them both and both have scenes that stand out in my mind. I think I would prefer to think of them as a whole :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, Kim. Just think of them as one "very long" movie. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. I haven't watched either movie in years. However, I remember when the book came out, my girlfriend bought it thinking it was something religious. She was shocked. I got the book on her recommendation and found it fascinating. I enjoyed all three movies that came out based on the book but I really got to hate the main character. Evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fascinating story, and the characters are so real. Thanks, Marion, for visiting.

      Delete
  5. I actually read this book way back in the day, and fancied myself as a female Godmother for about a month. (lol) I've seen all the movies, but the first one is by far the best and a true classic. Like you, I still watch it on television on occasion, even though I have the entire DVD package. Fun topic! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After typing this post, I couldn't get the theme song out of my head. Thanks, RO, for visiting.

      Delete