Sunday, July 16, 2017

"Little Golden Books..."

Last week, as I browsed in a bookstore, I found myself thumbing through the Little Golden Books display. My thoughts traveled to my late grandmother, and when I was a child. Every other Friday evening, we would walk to Woolworth's (aka "the five and dime") on Broad Street in South Philadelphia.




My grandmother would treat me to a soda or hot chocolate, depending upon the season, and buy me a Little Golden Book. I didn't realize, until I was a teenager, the reason we did this every other Friday was because her employer paid the staff every other Friday.






Strolling home from the bookstore on this particular day, I thought about how much I miss my grandmother who passed away over twenty years ago. Since "Grandmom" had always encouraged my childhood writing, I wish she had been here to see my first short story published. I also thought about the Little Golden Books she had purchased for me. Although reprinted several times over, many of these titles are still available.


The Night Before Christmas
by Clement Clarke Moore
Corinne Malvern



I can recite this word for word, and the illustrations are awesome!



The Poky Little Puppy
by Janette Sebring Lowrey
Gustaf Tenggren



I still have my "tattered" copy from those "Woolworth Days."


Cindrella
by Ron Dias
Bill Lorencz




My grandmother introduced me to Prince Charming. Maybe she knew I would one day try my hand at romance writing.



Animal Friends
by Jane Werner Watson
Garth Williams




This books is probably where I got my love for animals!



The Christmas Story
by Jane Werner Watson
Eloise Wilkin




This book, no matter what time of year, makes me want to put up my Christmas tree!



For information on Little Golden Books, including recent releases, http://www.randomhousekids.com/brand/little-golden-books/

Have a great week, Everyone!


(Winnie and Tigger photo c/o facebook.com/winniethepooh,
 Snoopy photo c/o facebook.com/snoopy)

12 comments:

  1. I loved Little Golden Books growing up. I was obsessed with The Poky Little Puppy, and I'm pretty sure I can recite all of The Night Before Christmas as well. That's a lovely memory of your grandmother. :) She was a special lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer, for stopping by...and for your kind words for my grandmother. Enjoy your Sunday!

      Delete
  2. Happy Sunday, Angela! Several years ago, Handsome and I went to see an exhibit of Little Golden Books artwork. All was hand drawn, no digital and absolutely exquisite. Two weeks ago, I was at an antique mall and saw lithographs done by one artist. I was tempted, but the prints were waterstained, so I passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...how awesome! I would love to see an exhibit like that!! Thanks, Vicki, for stopping by and sharing.

      Delete
  3. I remember my Golden Books and was fortunate enough to pass some them onto my own children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a trip to see how "The Poky Little Puppy" has evolved over the years. Thanks, Morgan, for visiting.

      Delete
  4. These bring back such wonderful memories of how my mom shared books with me to encourage my reading. I must have read the Poky Little Puppy dozens of times. And who didn't love Cinderella? Thanks for the lovely reminders. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing...these books have been around since before I was born, and are still going strong today. Thanks, RO, for visiting.

      Delete
  5. I loved all my Golden Books! It was so sweet when I got to buy some for my son. And I loved Poky Little Puppy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Poky Little Puppy just digs his way into your heart! Thanks, Red, for visiting today.

      Delete
  6. What a neat memory, Angela!

    We had a huge stack of Little Golden Books that my mom got us. My favorite was Tootle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so awesome that these books have been around for so long! Thanks for stopping by, Sophia.

      Delete