Sunday, May 21, 2017

Real Romance and True Love...

I've been reading romance stories for thirty years and writing them for half that amount of time. A detail my RWA buddies frequently stress to me is "conflict." To make a romance interesting to readers, authors must find a clash to keep the couple apart before they realize they can't live without each other.


But, real romance is actually quite simple as I realized earlier in the week while standing on a street corner waiting for a traffic light to change from red to green. A couple, age somewhere in their eighties, "toddled" pass me. The woman, looking frail and drained, walked with a walker. Her need for assistance was obvious. The man, holding on to her arm, encouraged her all the way. "Take your time, honey. Take your time. When we get there, we get there," I heard him say.

Unable to quash my curiosity, I turned to see where they were heading. "One step at a time. You're good," the man said, clutching the woman's arm as she leaned on her walker, making her way up three little steps.

Their destination...the nail salon. He was accompanying her to get her nails done. 

Now, that's real romance and true love.

Have a good week, Everyone!


(photo c/o pippalou @ morgueFile.com)

10 comments:

  1. Aww...that was such a sweet story. :-) Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I close my eyes, I can see the man assisting the woman up the steps...it was so cute! Thanks, Jennifer, for visiting.

      Delete
  2. That's the "A" in the HEA. The aged and the after. And the sweetness of a love well-lived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A" in the "HEA" -- very clever, Vonnie! Thanks for stopping by today.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Angela! I read once a character observed an older couple walking and talking and how engaged they were with each other. That scenario struck me as an ideal to have in marriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the aspects that I found so endearing was how they "toddled" in step with each other! Thanks for stopping by, Vicki.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes, "brings tears to the eyes" sweet. Thanks for stopping by, Kim.

      Delete
  5. I love, love, love reading about or seeing elderly people who've been together happily for 30+ years or more, and they have these great stories to tell about their lives, and how they stay together. Such fun and such wisdom and suck adoration. Romance novels are awesome! Great post, Angela! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it would be great to sit down, have a cup of coffee with them, and hear about their life together. Thanks, RO, for visiting.

      Delete