Sunday, February 19, 2017

An invitation to Betsy's House...

A few weeks ago a friend of mine, who teaches second grade, asked me if I could help chaperone a class field trip to Betsy Ross's House in the Olde City section of Philadelphia. As she had looked through her class list, she realized that she was short on parent chaperones



Walking through the historical district of Philadelphia is definitely my cup of hot chocolate. My friend's second graders are adorable and bright, and the outing turned into a fun afternoon.


Betsy's Arch Street House 
as it stood in 1898




History tells us that the Philadelphia house is where Betsy Ross lived and sewed the first American flag. Over the years, whether or not she actually sewed the flag has been seen as more fiction than reality. What is known to be fact is that Betsy ran an upholstery business out of her house from 1773 through 1786.

Although her connection to the first flag is debatable, the house on Arch Street is a major tourist attraction in our city. 


The "restored" house as it stands today



"Betsy" in her Upholstery Shop



Sewing was done by hand in the 18th Century



Dinner at Betsy's 




Have a good week, Everyone, and for a Virtual Tour of Betsy Ross's House, http://historicphiladelphia.org/virtualbrh/



(photos c/o facebook.com/betsyrosshouse)

12 comments:

  1. Hi, Angela! I've never been to Philadelphia. Someday, I'll get there and seeing Betsy's house would be on my list. I've never heard anything different about her sewing or not the flag. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, you would enjoy walking through the entire Olde City District! Thanks for visiting today.

      Delete
  2. Betsy sewing the flag is always an entertaining sto ry. In the end,someone had to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What amazed me was realizing that everything was sewed by hand back in those days! Thanks for stopping by, Morgan.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the blog. I have always loved history. We always believe what we read in history books, which can be a good or bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should come to Philly and visit Olde City. Along with Betsy's house, you can visit Ben Franklin's house, Carpenter's Hall...and me (smile!). Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. I have not been there since the early 90's. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kim! Thanks for visiting today!!

      Delete
  5. You know I just had to click on the link to find out the answer. ;-) I didn't know there was any speculation about her sewing the first flag. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy probably never imagined, back in her day, what a huge tourist attraction her house would become. Thanks, Jennifer, for visiting today!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE her house! Oh, I wish I could have gone with you, Angela! But thank you for the virtual tour! That's amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour, Red! Thanks for stopping by today.

      Delete