Sunday, January 22, 2017

National Winnie the Pooh Day!

This past Wednesday, January 18th, would have been the 135th  birthday of A.A. Milne, the author who created the Hundred Acre Woods. Mr. Milne passed away in 1956, but his legacy lives on through his beloved characters, Winnie the Pooh, Christopher Robin, Piglet, Eeyore, Kanga, Roo, Tigger, Rabbit, and Owl.





Although I'm a big admirer of Winnie and his friends (I still have the tattered, stuffed Winnie my grandmother gave me years ago), I wasn't aware "Pooh Bear" had a national day until I turned on the TV for Wednesday morning's broadcast of my local news (thank you, 6abc's Action News). Hearing the piece on Milne and Winnie reminded me of my favorite Pooh quotes, the true story behind Winnie, and one of the several books written about Milne's inspiration. I'm delighted to share my quotes with you this week, and links for the book.







"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." 
...Winnie the Pooh


"Promise me you'll always remember: you're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
...Christopher Robin 


"How do you spell love?" 
...Piglet 
"You don't spell it, you feel it." 
...Winnie the Pooh





Winnie: The True Story of the Bear Who Inspired 
Winnie-the-Pooh
       by Sally M. Walker and Jonathan D. Voss




Who could care for a bear?

When Harry Colebourn saw a baby bear for sale at the train station, he knew he could care for it. Harry was a veterinarian. But he was also a soldier in training for World War I.

Harry named the bear Winnie, short for Winnipeg, his company’s home town, and he brought her along to the training camp in England. Winnie followed Harry everywhere and slept under his cot every night. Before long, she became the regiment’s much-loved mascot.

But who could care for the bear when Harry had to go to the battleground in France? Harry found just the right place for Winnie while he was away—the London Zoo. There a little boy named Christopher Robin came along and played with Winnie—he could care for this bear too!

Sally Walker’s heartwarming story, paired with Jonathan Voss’s evocative illustrations, brings to life the story of the real bear who inspired Winnie the Pooh.

Amazon


Barnes & Noble


Books-A-Million



Also, Winnie and his friends have a Facebook page,

https://www.facebook.com/WinniethePooh/ 

Have a great week, Everyone!


(photos c/o facebook.com/winniethepooh)

10 comments:

  1. I adore Winnie the Pooh! Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a very wise bear! Thanks, Kim, for visiting!!

      Delete
  2. There is a new Winnie the Pooh series and this one has a girl detective. I've watched it in the kindergarten classes, but think you can find it on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Angela! When #1 and #2 sons were small, we watched a cartoon. I loved Tigger and his the wonderful thing about Tiggers is Tiggers are wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the characters from an adult prospective, I think each of the characters has their own unique and endearing trait. Thanks, Vicki, for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I have many fond memories of being read Winnie when I was little. I can't help but think of all the ways the Pooh Bear inspired me. Thanks for the post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to share Pooh Bear. Thanks for stopping by, Red!

      Delete
  5. I always adored Winnie. Something about him was just so real. Had no idea there was a National Holiday, but he deserves it! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't aware of a National Winnie Day until I saw it on the news. Then, I saw the post on Winnie's website. And, you're right, RO. If anyone deserves a National Holiday, it's Winnie. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete