Sunday, November 6, 2016

"Thank you, Veterans!"











There are few greater sacrifices one could make than to leave his/her family, go off to a strange country, and make it their mission to keep those of us who live at home safe.

Two simple words mean a lot to folks who deserve to hear them. So, not only on November 11th, but any day you happen to pass one of our military members, please don’t forget to say those two words. The words, “thank you.”

My Uncle Al, my mother's brother who passed away three years ago, served in World War II. He never forgot how lucky he was to not only return home to my mother and grandmother, but to be able to marry and start a family of his own. Along with his trade as a carpenter, Uncle Al spent his entire post-war years volunteering with his local VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars). I remember my uncle collecting supplies disabled veterans needed, coordinating appeals to send items to our military personnel currently serving, and driving veterans who were unable to drive themselves to their doctor appointments. 

Toward the end of his life, Uncle Al became a resident in a VA nursing home. He was still helping other veterans by reading the newspaper to those who no longer could.





If you would like to help our veterans, I've posted several websites for information.


Paralyzed Veterans of America

http://www.pva.org/


Disabled America Veterans


http://www.dav.org/


Wounded Warrior Project

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/


The Veterans Site

http://www.TheVeteransSite.com/


Veterans Multi-Service Center

http://vmcenter.org


USO (United Service Organization)

http://www.uso.org/

A huge thank you to our Veterans, and God bless you!


(photos c/o facebook.com/TheVeteransSite)

12 comments:

  1. Awesome tribute. We owe these men and woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I'd to acknowledge my late grandfather, Cecil. He enlisted when he was only fifteen. Since home births were common at that time he didn't have a birth certificate. He lied about is age to the recruiter. His trip down to boot camp was the first time he'd been out of the state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave and honorable gestures on your grandfather's part. Cecil's desire to serve his country is admirable. Thanks, Morgan, for sharing.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Angela! I grew up with every male member in my family having served in WW2, then some went to Korea, Viet Name, etc. And was very aware of the sacrifice these people made for me. One I've never forgotten. Thank you to Uncle Al.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deep appreciation to the servicemen in your family. Thank you, Vicki, for stopping by and sharing.

      Delete
  4. OMG - I'm so glad you posted this tribute as a reminder of our heroes who have died for us and our country. It saddens me that people recognize vets by saying thanks, but those in need are still waiting for benefits, living on the streets homeless, suffering with PTSD, or in abusive relationships. To this day, Walmart still won't even offer a discount on Veterans Day - one day of the year!!!! I see this treatment daily. Seeing others share to remind us is wonderful. I thank you so very much!!!! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to do what I can for our Vets. Thanks, RO, for visiting!

      Delete
  5. A lovely post. My Uncle Oscar was on Iwo Jima during the end of WWII, responsible for guiding planes onto the island. It was something he often talked about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet Uncle Oscar had many interesting stories to tell. Thanks for stopping by, Marion!

      Delete