Sunday, November 13, 2016

Great Reads on Historic Philadelphia

Frequent visitors to this blog are aware of how much I enjoy walking through the historical district of my city, Philadelphia. Not only is the walk a physical benefit, but helps me through the old dilemma of "writer's block."



Last June, I attended "Fete Day" on Elfreth's Alley in Philadelphia's Olde City district. Designated a national historical site in 1966, Elfreth's Alley is our nation's oldest residential street. Each year on "Fete Day," the current residents living in these homes hold a block party with music, crafts, food, and colonial games.

Author, and History Professor, George W, Boudreau was available for a "meet and greet," and to sign copies of his book. Independence: A Guide to Historic Philadelphia. Although I missed meeting Professor Boudreau, I picked up his book, start thumbing through it, and could not put it down. When I was finished reading, I began searching for other books highlighting historic Philadelphia.

If you're interested in some interesting reads on our nation's background, check out these books.


Independence: A Guide to Historic Philadelphia
by George W. Boudreau



From William Penn's first footsteps on Philadelphia soil, this book tells the stories of those early years and how our nation came to be. Filled with wonderful photographs and exhaustive research, reading this book was like watching CNN during the drafting of the Declaration of Independence and United States Constitution.  I loved this book and talked about it all summer.

Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Independence-Historic-Philadelphia-George-Boudreau/dp/159416259X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1476209147&sr=1-1&keywords=independence+a+guide+to+historic+philadelphia

Barnes & Noble

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/independence-george-boudreau/1112763908?ean=9781594162596

Books-A-Million

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Independence/George-W-Boudreau/9781594162596?id=6130748650509


Wicked Philadelphia: Sin in the City of Brotherly Love
by Thomas H. Keels



The "naughty" of those early days in Philly. Tales of grave robbers, brothels, and scams in the City of Brotherly Love. There were times, while reading, when I laughed, and others when I cringed. Either way, a great -- and interesting -- read.

Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Philadelphia-City-Brotherly-Love/dp/1596297875/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1476209264&sr=1-1&keywords=Wicked+Philadelphia

Barnes & Noble

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wicked-philadelphia-thomas-h-keels/1101137377?ean=9781596297876

Books-A-Million

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Wicked-Philadelphia/Thomas-H-Keels/9781596297876?id=6130748650509



The Philadelphia Inquirer's Walking Tours 
of  Historic Philadelphia
by Edward Colimore



The Philadelphia Inquirer is our local newspaper. This book is an indispensable read for visitors to Philadelphia, history buffs, and for anyone who loves a good story. Follow the footsteps of those who walked our sidewalks in the early days, take a tour of the historical sites, and learn about Philadelphia's part in our nation's upbringing.

Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Philadelphia-Inquirers-Walking-Historic-Tours/dp/1933822031/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1476209397&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Philadelphia+Inquirer

Barnes & Noble

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-philadelphia-inquirers-walking-tours-of-historic-philadelphia-colimore-edward/1124500540?ean=9781933822037

Books-A-Million

http://www.booksamillion.com/search?raresearch=1&id=6130748650509&qisbn=9781933822037&qty_avail=18&chunk=10&qsort=p


Not only are these books interesting reads, but a helpful reference for any author who is considering writing a historical romance set in Philadelphia. Have a great week, Everyone!




(Elfreth's Alley photo c/o facebook.com/Elfreth's Alley)

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Angela! I would love to visit Philadelphia. Your photos and book covers intrigued me. So maybe someday....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Philadelphia would love to have you, Vicki! Thanks for stopping by today.

      Delete
  2. A lovely post. Makes me want to revisit Philadelphia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marion, you're about due for a visit! Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

      Delete
  3. These are so great Angela..thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thanks for visiting, Kim!

      Delete
  4. Oh, thank you for these book recommendations! As you know, I love reading historical texts, and I'm looking forward to reading these! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know historical reading is your cup of tea, Red. Thanks for visiting today!

      Delete
  5. I totally love learning about new things, so I'm ready for Jeopardy (lol), so thanks for sharing this. Many years ago, I visited Philadelphia to see a friend and her hubby, and while at a stop sign, 5 guys came to my window to sell me crack. Can you believe that? (lol) So I don't mind telling you that my next trip, I have to visit you so I can sell all the cool and fun stuff. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can believe almost anything!(lol). Thanks for visiting, RO!

      Delete