Sunday, October 2, 2016

Noise or Silence?






This post is for all of my author friends out there...do you write in silence or do you need some background noise?

For me, if it's baseball season, I'm listening to a Phillies' game on the radio, or analysts discussing a Phillies' game.

If it's not baseball season, I'm listening to Frank Sinatra, Bruce Springsteen or Bon Jovi (although I live in Philly, I can't get enough of those Jersey boys). I've concluded, over the years, that the radio/CD player is a distraction whenever I hit a snag in my thinking. 

So, a question to all of you creative folks, do you need noise or silence?

(photo c/o facebook.com/winniethepooh)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Angela! :-) I listen to country music most of the time. If I'm writing a Christmas book then I put Christmas carols on pandora. I find the silence distracting and my mind usually wanders and tries to fill in the silence with noise of its own. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mind wanders, too, if it's too quiet in the house. Thanks for stopping by, Jennifer.

      Delete
  2. Most days, I turn on Pandora and listen to latin and/or classical guitar, or turn on Sirius XM and listen to classical music. Music with words is VERY distracting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classical music puts me in the mood to do Yoga (smile). Thanks, Vicki, for visiting

      Delete
  3. I need noise to think about my stories, usually listening to CD's especially smooth jazz by the Rippingtons. But when I'm actually writing, I need silence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jazz always makes me hear Louie Armstrong in my head. Thanks, Marion, for visiting today.

      Delete
  4. Silence...lol Unless it is mundane work and then I listen to audios. The game would stop me from working :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that baseball season for the Phillies is over, I'll be listening to music. Thanks, Kim, for stopping by today.

      Delete