Sunday, September 18, 2016

"I Can Drive, Daddy..."





We enjoyed some awesome Philadelphia weather this week. One beautiful, crisp, cool morning, as I walked to the bus stop, I overheard an adorable conversation between a preschool boy and his dad, and I knew I had to share with you. The two were standing on the sidewalk, alongside the family SUV. As the dad fished through his pocket for the vehicle's keys, the little boy said, "I can drive, Daddy. I can drive the car for you."

Daddy chuckled. Having found his keys, he said, "That's okay, buddy. I got it."

But, the little one was not deterred. "No, Daddy. Really. I can drive." The pint-size chauffeur glowed with confidence. "I drive good, too. You said so when I drive my car." I decided it's a good bet that whenever the child drove his plastic tyke-size auto along the sidewalk, Daddy probably cheered him on. 

When I crossed the street to stand at the bus stop, they were out of earshot. As I stepped on the bus, the pair were still on the sidewalk discussing, I imagine, who was going to drive. I smiled, concluding that this is a good father who recognizes the importance of encouragement, positive reinforcement, and lots of accolades where his child is concerned. He definitely deserves a shout-out, applause, and high-fives.

As my bus rolled away from its stop, I gave a parting glance at the pair. I also wondered how "Daddy" was going to get himself out of the "I can drive, Daddy" situation.

Suggestions for the dad, anyone?





(photo c/o facebook.com/AmazonToysandGames)

12 comments:

  1. A teachable moment about laws. "Son, while I know you can drive, there are laws that are supposed to keep us safe. Like when a traffic light turns red, the law says I have to stop. When I see a stop sign, I have to stop because it's the law. It's also the law that you can't drive until you're 16. So for now, I need you in the back seat to keep an eye out for those red lights. Be my driver helper."

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I love a confident child and I am sure the Dad figured out the best way to handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, neither Dad, child, or SUV was there when I got home. So, "someone" drove that morning (LOL). Thanks for visiting, Kim!

      Delete
  3. This is so funny and reminds me of the commercial where the dad tosses the boy his keys and everything goes wrong for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little boy oozed confidence. He was so cute. Thanks for stopping by, Vicki.

      Delete
  4. Very cute. Back when I was young, I can remember a few fathers who had their child sit on their lap while they drove. Can't imagine that happening today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those days, too. Thanks, Marion, for visiting.

      Delete
  5. Oh, what a great story! :-) So adorable. It's always so sad when I hear stories of college professors and such using negative commentary to push along students. I always raised my kids with positive reinforcement and that's what they respond best to. Me too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this little boy gets a lot of positive reinforcement. And, you're right, Jennifer -- that's a good thing. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. What a great conversation! Reminds me of that commercial where the dad said his son could drive. When he went grocery shopping everything fell out of the bag, and he got a ticket. He ended up telling his dad, "that's okay, he didn't want to drive"! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This little boy was adorable. I loved when he reminded his father he was a good driver with a "you said so." Thanks for visiting, RO!

      Delete