Sunday, July 17, 2016

Grand Funk Railroad




Grand Funk Railroad during 1970s

On a recent Saturday morning, as I stood in a supermarket line, whoever was in charge of the music began streaming a block by one of my favorite bands from my high school years, Grand Funk Railroad (often shortened to Grand Funk). Out of Flint, Michigan the band formed in 1969, with the trio of Mark Farner, Don Brewer, and Mel Schacher, I didn't discover their music until 1973. By then, keyboardist, Craig Foster had been added, enhancing the mix.



Grand Funk Railroad today 


With their sound, a combination of rock, soul, and metal, Grand Funk Railroad received little airplay on the more popular AM radio, but the guys sure knew how to pack -- and rock -- an arena. I remember putting aside part of my allowance until I had saved $7.50 to buy a ticket for the band's appearance at our local venue, the Spectrum (which is now a parking lot). Back in those days, many concerts were "open seating" or "first come, best seat." My friends and I stood in line for hours for the chance to sit in one of the front rows closest to the stage. Seeing an always shirtless Mark Farner (he's no longer with the band) strut across the stage was worth every minute of the wait.

With gratitude to several folks at YouTube, I've posted links to my favorite Grand Funk Railroad tunes -- including  a live performance of We're An American Band featuring a shirtless, strutting Mark Farner.


We're An American Band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMsIrKjSM6Y

Some Kind of Wonderful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7B5jXYRy3Q

Rock 'N Roll Soul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk-IUKeRI5w

I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv7XR_cJU9Y


While doing my YouTube search, I started thinking of the many bands I enjoyed in the Seventies -- The Grass Roots, Chicago, Three Dog Night...

If you have a favorite Seventies band, please share.

Have a good week, Everyone!


(photos c/o facebook.com/Grand-Funk-Railroad-Band-1393046374288775; We're An American Band video c/o Dario Paccagnella; Some Kind of Wonderful video c/o Jmoore 75860; Rock 'N Roll Soul video c/o Jmoore 75860; I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home c/o TIJ188)





12 comments:

  1. Huey Lewis and the News and they're still putting on a great show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I saw an ad for them in this week's "Philadelphia Weekly." Huey Lewis & the News will be at the Borgata in Atlantic City on Sunday, July 24th! Thanks for visiting, Morgan!

      Delete
  2. I love those songs and always rock when they're on the radio. Locomotion too!!!! My first band fav was Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicago was one of my favorites, too. "Color My World" was the First Dance song at lots of weddings in my family. Thanks for stopping by, Vicki.

      Delete
  3. I know all of these songs, and saw them in Philadelphia. I miss all the smaller bands we could see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably remember the Spectrum. I miss that place...Thanks for stopping by, Kim.

      Delete
    2. The Spectrum was also the home of the Stanley Cup winning Philadelphia Flyers.

      Delete
  4. Love it! I kind of know these songs, and I'll listen to them again since I'm on a real '70s kick lately! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grand Funk was TRUE Rock 'n Roll. Thanks, Red, for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Back in the '70's I liked America - still like them and whenever I can I attend their concerts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite America song was "Ventura Highway." Thanks for stopping by, Marion!

      Delete