Sunday, June 12, 2016

Picture Books to Honor our Soldiers...



A few days after drafting my blog post on the philosophy behind Memorial Day in the U.S.A., I was returning DVDs to my local branch of the Philadelphia Free Library. As I turned to leave, I noticed in the Children's Department, a thoughtful, respectful display of Children's books focusing on our military. American flags complimented the display.

Since I'm a strong believer in the importance of reading to children, I took a look at the display and was impressed by how the authors explained serving in the military to children.

As I strolled home, I decided to use this week's post to introduce these awesome reads to you. I've provided "Buy Links" should you need more information.


Hero Dad 
by Melinda Hardin and Bryan Langdo




A boy compares his father, a U.S. soldier, to a superhero.

Amazon Buy Link:


Barnes & Noble Buy Link:




Hero Mom 
by Melinda Hardin and Bryan Langdo



These superheros are moms. Military Moms.

Amazon Buy Link:


Barnes & Noble Buy Link:




My Big Brother 
by Miriam Cohen and Ronald Himler




A boy idolizes his brother who has left home to join the army.

Amazon Buy Link:


Barnes & Noble Buy Link:




The Wall (Reading Rainbow Book)
by Eve Bunting and Ronald Himler



A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Amazon Buy Link:


Barnes & Noble Buy Link:


Have a wonderful week, Everyone!


(flag photo c/o facebook.com/TheVeteransSite)

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these Angela. I will grab some to donate to the local base :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful books! I haven't looked at children's book in years. Your post certainly updated me. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish had taken a photo of the library's display...it was awesome!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Amazing books! Thanks for bringing them to my attention! I'm definitely going to check them out!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Red! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. As a veteran, I can't tell you how cool it is to see these books and for authors to take time to write stories kids can relate to. Thanks for this important and needed post! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stories were thoughtful, the display at the Library awesome. Thank you, RO, for your service...and, for stopping by today!

      Delete