Sunday, May 22, 2016

E.T., The Extra-Terrestrial





As I browsed through a table of DVDs at a Flea Market, I found E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial. I held it up to my neighbor, both of us getting sentimental over the forlorn stranger from outer space.

The story by Steven Spielberg, script written by Melissa Mathison, and directed by Steven Spielberg, E.T. is the tale of a sweet, gentle alien who becomes stranded on earth. He's found by a young boy, Elliott, who brings him to his suburban home. Elliott, his older brother, and little sister call the alien, E.T. and decide to hide him while E.T. tries to figure out how to return to his planet.

Dozens of articles have been printed since the movie's 1982 release regarding the film's meaning and theme. I've always felt the story was of two abandoned, lonely people in need of a true, understanding friend; Elliott, whose father had divorced Elliott's mother and deserted the family, and E.T. whose spaceship took off and left him behind on earth. Each emphasizes with the other's feelings, which I think, is where scenes such a Elliott being drunk as school while E.T. is drinking beer at home symbolizes.





One of the most touching, and beloved scenes, occurs at the end of the movie. Just in case there is a person out there who hasn't seen the movie, I won't spoil it for you. 




But, should you want to see the final movie scene, I found it on YouTube. Don't forget to grab your tissues before viewing.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75M1XXEZciU&ebc=ANyPxKou5iK9An3FHiqOU6qq3U2Q6TlfzH73LSkyFrcMS2fQtMps3tHLD_9cVi7VrSRxGHKIoBiOkpe8H5h1DZgogola_xeByQ

Have a great week, Everyone!




(photo c/o www.facebook.com/E.T.Movie; YouTube clip c/o Movieclips)

12 comments:

  1. Calvin and I just watched this movie for the first time ever on Netflix two weeks ago, became children again, and enjoyed every moment of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had your tissues handy. Thanks for stopping by, Vonnie!

      Delete
  2. I felt for the single mom too. I may have watched the movie when I was a single mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to believe the movie is over thirty-years-old. Thanks, Morgan, for visiting today.

      Delete
  3. My boss at the time said he'd seen it and suggested I go, too. I was reluctant as I just didn't care for sci-fi type of movies. But Handsome wanted to; so we dove in and it stole our hearts. I love the hiding in the closet with the stuffed animals scene. And "Be Good."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all these years, I still want to give E.T. a great big hug. Thanks, Vicki, for visiting.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I should be able to get on your blog using my Google id from work. Always find your blogs interesting. Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marion, for stopping by and for your kind words!

      Delete
  5. I remember seeing this at the drive-thru and eating Reese's pieces..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about the Reese's pieces! Thanks for stopping by and reminding me, Kim!!

      Delete
  6. I'm the same age as Drew Barrymore, and I'll never forget wondering how she could act so well and how I'd like my own alien to dress up. :) LOVED that movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every little girl waned an alien to play "dress up" with, Red! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete