Sunday, May 15, 2016

Do You Remember Disco?



One morning last week I woke up singing a song I hadn't heard in over 30 years. The song was Midnight Love Affair by Carol Douglas. Back in the late 70s, a friend of mine was a keyboard player in a band. A group of us from the neighborhood would follow the guys, showing up every weekend at whatever club the band appeared. Midnight Love Affair was a favorite tune of a club DJ who spun records while the band took a break from the stage.

Unable to get this tune out of my head on this particular morning, I hummed it while getting ready for my day job, while waiting for the bus, and strolling from the bus to the building. When I walked into our staff lounge, I said to one of my colleagues, "I keep hearing this song from my disco days."

After I recited a few lines (trust me, no one wants to hear me sing) my colleague, who is a few years older than I am, chuckled and replied, "Oh, I remember. That's a disco oldie but goodie."

Sitting at a table, scrolling through her phone, was one of our college interns. Not taking her eyes from her phone, the intern asked, "What's Disco?"

My colleague turned to me and whispered, "That's sad."

The conversation remained in my mind, giving me the idea for this post, and the opportunity to "google search" my favorite disco songs (with YouTube Links for your listening pleasure).

Do you remember the Disco era? If you do, feel free to share your favorite tune. 

Angela's picks --


Midnight Love Affair by Carol Douglas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUlI13uhuTY

That's Where The Happy People Go by The Trammps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h8SOLvb09g

Heaven Knows by Donna Summer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTaydm8wGR0

San Francisco (You've Got Me) by Village People
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M0f_7LokV4

You Should Be Dancing by Bee Gees
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaXdTe2TYhs



Have a great week, Everyone!



(photo c/o RoganJosh @ morgueFile.com)

(Midnight Love Affair c/o UnidiscMusic; That's Where The Happy People Go c/o AuntieSoul34; Heaven Knows c/o Dianeclarke18; San Francisco (You've Got Me) c/o #VillagePeople; You Should Be Dancing c/o Graffist)

10 comments:

  1. Last Dance by Donna Summers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good one, too! Thanks, Morgan, for visiting today!!

      Delete
  2. Get Down Tonight by KC and the Sunshine Band AND Boogie Oogie Oogie by A Taste of Honey. Yeah, baby. Disco rocks. Now you know how old I am. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KC and the Sunshine Band continues to tour. The band is appearing in Atlantic City in August!

      Delete
  3. Oh lordy, do I remember disco. My favorite is YMCA. When the whole dance floor gets into the moves and is singing, is so much fun. And Disco music had people dancing, really dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently went to a wedding, and the DJ played YMCA. My cousin, who is my age, was the only one on the dance floor who knew the correct moves. He was very proud of himself. Thanks for visiting, Vicki!

      Delete
  4. I love the Disco music, especially songs by the Bee Gees. Actually had some very unsuccessful dancing lessons on how to do it – I was nothing like Travolta, but I tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the Academy gave out Oscars for dancing, Travolta would have won. Thanks for stopping by, Marion!

      Delete
  5. YES....I danced to it quite a bit in high school :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have days when I miss my high school dances. Thanks, Kim, for visiting.

      Delete