Sunday, November 15, 2015

Have You Ever Seen The Rain?




I receive lots of daily book review emails. While time prevents me from reading them all, I usually skim each one and if something catches my eye, I'll stop and read the entire post. A few weeks ago, I got a Washington Post email with a review by Greg Schneider of Fortunate Son: My Life and Music by John  Fogerty with Jimmy McDonough
(http://www.arcamax.com/entertainment/books/bookreviews/s-1735497?fs ).


For those of you too young to remember, Fogerty was the founder of the 1960s band, Creedence Clearwater Revival. One of the most successful band of its time, and also one of my favorites.

While reading Schneider’s post, I hadn’t realized (or maybe was just too young) to recognize the turmoil among the band members. The review intrigued me, and I picked up the book (which is saying something about the strength of the Schneider’s account because I don’t often read biographies). 

Fortunate Son… reminded me not only what a great group of musicians Fogerty, his brother, Tom, and Stu Cook, and Doug Clifford were, but of the awesome, prolific  poet and storyteller the band had in John who served as chief songwriter. This being 2015, I clicked on Google and found oodles of CCR hits on YouTube. As I listened to the words of the songs, and since he’s put his memoirs in print, I have one question for  Mr. Fogerty, “Have you ever considered writing a novel?”





Listed below are my favorite Creedence Clearwater Revival songs. I’ve provided YouTube links for your listening pleasure.  I enjoyed hearing these songs with a more mature prospective, and absorbing the stories they told, from the political to the whimsical.

Have You Ever Seen the Rain (words and music by John Fogerty)


Proud Mary (words and music by John Fogerty)


Lookin’ Out My Back Door (words and music by John Fogerty)


Down On The Corner (words and music by John Fogerty)


Interested in checking out Fortunate Son: My Life and Music, I’ve included some online links.

Amazon Buy Link:


Barnes & Noble Buy Link:



Books-A-Million Buy Link:



Are you a fan of the band? Have a favorite CCR song? Please feel free to share your thoughts. Have a great week, Everyone!







(photos c/o facebook.com/John Fogerty), 
(Have you Ever Seen The Rain YouTube c/o Dylan McCord), 
(Proud Mary YouTube c/o J.R. Ramos), 
(Lookin’ Out My Back Door YouTube c/o Geert Mook), 
(Down On The Corner YouTube c/o Shane Henning)



10 comments:

  1. Always loved CCR, Angela! Thanks for letting me know about the bio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big biography reader, but this one held my interest. Thanks, Lois, for visiting today.

      Delete
  2. They may be before my time, but I love the band and can sing their songs. This does sound like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every rock fan knows the words to "Proud Mary." (I'm singing the song while typing). Thanks, Kimba, for stopping by today.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful a book was written about him. Although not my all-time fav, I do know some of their songs. I love seventies rock and roll and raised my boys on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book was a good read. Thanks, Vicki, for visiting.

      Delete
  4. I have every son CCR ever recorded. I grew up on their music. Loved them then. Love them now. Great post, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been singing "Proud Mary" all day. Thanks for stopping by, Vonnie.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful music. Thanks for reminding me.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Few bands make great music like that nowadays. Thanks, Marion, for stopping by today!

      Delete