Sunday, September 27, 2015

Happenings in Children's Books!





So true!

Have you ever visited a library during Preschooler Story Time? Caught a glimpse of enthused and mesmerized little faces? Aside from the excitement and pleasure of getting captivated by a story, studies have proven that reading to toddlers and preschoolers develops their learning, speech, and communication skills.

When I was a child, my grandmother would take me out to the "Five and Dime" (if anyone remembers them), treat me to hot chocolate (or ice cream) and a Little Golden Book. Every once in a while, I pull out my tattered copy of "The Pokey Little Puppy." My grandmother loved books and passed on that joy to me. Since children's books, and the values they sometimes teach, impress me, I keep up to date with what's happening in children's literature.

Here are several releases that may be of interest to the little ones in your life. I've included a brief portion of the book's blurb, along with Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and BAM Buy Links.



Mango, Abuela, and Me by Meg Medina (author) and Angela Dominguez (illustrator)


When a little girl’s far-away grandmother comes to stay, love and patience transcend language in a tender story written by acclaimed author Meg Medina.

Amazon Buy Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Mango-Abuela-Me-Meg-Medina/dp/0763669008/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441041926&sr=1-1&keywords=mango+abuela+and+me


Barnes & Noble Buy Link:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/mango-abuela-and-me-meg-medina/1121069201?ean=9780763669003


Books-A-Million Buy Link:

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Mango-Abuela/Meg-Medina/9780763669003?id=6130748650509





The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires (author, illustrator)


Award-winning author and illustrator Ashley Spires has created a charming picture book about an unnamed girl and her very best friend, who happens to be a dog. The girl has a wonderful idea. She is going to make the most MAGNIFICENT thing! She knows just how it will look. She knows just how it will work. All she has to do is make it…

Amazon Buy Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Most-Magnificent-Thing-Ashley-Spires/dp/1554537045/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441042237&sr=1-1&keywords=the+most+magnificent+thing+ashley+spires

Barnes & Noble Buy Link:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-most-magnificent-thing-ashley-spires/1116821364?ean=9781554537044

Books-A-Million Buy Link:

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Most-Magnificent-Thing/Ashley-Spires/9781554537044?id=6130748650509






The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend by Dan Santat


Congratulations to author, Dan Santat, for winning the 2015 Randolph Caldecott Medal for this delightful story of “Beekle” who travels from an island far away to find his "real person" friend. It’s a tale of courage, imagination, and most of all friendship. DreamWorks Animation has optioned this book for a major motion picture.

Amazon Buy Link:


Barnes & Noble Buy Link:


Books-A-Million Buy Link:






William & the Missing Masterpiece by Helen Hancocks

The Mona Cheesa painting is missing and only cat-detective William can solve the crime!

Amazon Buy Link:


Barnes & Noble Buy Link:


Books-A-Million Buy Link:




Have a great week, Everyone!



(Winnie & Piglet photo c/of facebook.com/winniethepooh)

9 comments:

  1. Pete the Cat was always the favorite whenever I sub for the young ones. They all love to sing the refrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I have to learn not to comment before I finish my coffee -- I can't spell (or type). What I originally said was that the little boy who lives in the house next to mine tells me that Pete is "one cool cat." Thanks for visiting, Morgan.

      Delete
  2. Excellent post for anyone looking for children’s books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all the recommendations..I am always looking for books for Sophia's bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember going to Woolworth's to get a few things with mom and dad, but when I got older, I couldn't wait to sit at the counter with a cheeseburger, coke and a Harlequin romance novel. (lol) Storytime at the library does seem fun because the librarian is so animated! The kids really get involved, too! Hugs...Ro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woolworth's is the place I was referring to when I said "five and dime!" The spot in South Philly where my grandmother and me would go now stands a Rite Aid. Thanks for visiting, RO!

      Delete