Sunday, July 19, 2015

You always remember your first!





 Not too long ago, Kimba at the Caffenated Book Reviewer (http://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/), did a daily post on favorite romance novels. I have too many favorites to count, but I remember my first. Joy in the Morning by Betty Smith was given to me by my grandmother. I still have have my yellow-paged, tattered, falling apart paperback from the 1960s.

Although the book cover has changed, I was excited, to find a re-issued 2010 copy on Amazon and Barnes & Noble, and stunned to find someone had set up a Facebook page for the book! This book cover photo is courtesy of that FB page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joy-in-the-Morning-1963/168933889823825?sk=info&tab=page_info)







Blurb:

In 1927 Brooklyn, teenagers Carl Brown and Annie McGairy meet and fall in love. Through hardship and poverty, their commitment perseveres, and soon they realize that their greatest sources of strength, loyalty, and love will help them make it through, together. Joy in the Morning is, in the words of Best Sellers, “a human-hearted song of joy” from the immortal Betty Smith.


Amazon Buy Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Morning-Novel-Betty-Smith/dp/0061774332/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1430058722&sr=1-1&keywords=Betty+Smith


Barnes & Noble Buy Link:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/joy-in-the-morning-betty-smith/1102178412?ean=9780061774331




Editorial Reviews (Reviews posts c/o Barnes & Noble)

Chicago Tribune

"A glad affirmation that love can accomplish the impossible."

New York Times Book Review
"A more dauntless heroine or a more appealing one has not turned up in a current novel in years." 
 Joy in the Morning listed on Wikipedia --

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joy_in_the_Morning_(Smith_novel)

I just loved this book and read and reread many times.

Do you remember the first romance novel you read?






(bird photo c/o NovemberRaindrop @ morgueFile.com)

12 comments:

  1. I bow to you picking only one. It was hard to pick only a few myself. I have added Joy in the Morning to my tbr pile..I want to meet Carl and Annie. Thanks for sharing and for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to drop a few spoilers, but I'll control myself (smile!). And, you're always welcome for the mention and the share. Thanks for visiting today!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Angela! My first romances were written by Emilie Loring. I loved/love these books so much, I have them all in hardback. I gobbled them like candy and sometimes, I even reread them. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a professor in college who read Emilie Loring's books (I always liked that particular spelling of the name "Emilie" -- very classy). This professor never admitted to reading romance, but insisted that Emilie Loring's books were classic literature (maybe it was the hardback cover?) Thanks for stopping by, Vicki!

      Delete
  3. Hi Angela! :-) My first romance I bought at a sidewalk sale. I was just a teenager. It was a Harlequin and it had a purple cover. It was the first of many that I devoured. ;-) After that I had other favorite HQ's. At a book sale many years later, I was actually able to track down a couple of them. Made me so happy. :-) Too bad they're in storage now. I'd like to read them again and see if I still like them as much. ;-) Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some books that I read over and over again. To me, rereading a book is like having friends over for dinner, Thanks, Jennifer, for stopping by, and sharing.

      Delete
  4. My first romance was something like These Golden (something or others). It was an historical romance during the Gold Rush, I believe. I started out reading historical romances, and didn't know contemporary ones existed for many years. Thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a time when historical romances were the most popular ones. As I walked down the aisle of a SEPTA bus (Philly's public transit system) all the women were holding a novel by Kathleen Woodiwiss or Rosemary Rogers. Thanks for stopping by, Liana!

      Delete
  5. I’ve been reading romances since I got my library card. However, when I decided to write romances (after reading in Writers Digest that it was the easiest way to get published), I went looking for paperback romance books in my library. There was one. It was so horrible that I decided to forget it. Writing romances wasn’t for me.
    The next visit to the library I found 5 books abandoned on the giveaway table and took all 5. They included one by Jayne Ann Krentz and several other popular authors. I was hooked and never looked back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm proud to say that my local library branch has a great section for romance novels. Thanks, Marion, for visiting!

      Delete
  6. I really enjoy reading those types of novels, and am thrilled that you saved your lovely gift! I started reading Barbara Cartland romances, but when it was time to get steamy, I'll never forget trying Kathleen Woodiwiss and Rosemary Rogers novels. They're still on my bookshelf today. Great topic! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've saved every book my grandmother gave me from "The Pokey Little Puppy," to "Joy in the Morning," to "The Godfather." Thanks for visiting, RO!

      Delete