Sunday, June 14, 2015

How Do You Think?




Recently, I submitted a story to a publisher. After an initial read, the editor offered to take another look if an additional 2,000 words were added.

My initial reaction was “2,000 words? No sweat,” but I discovered adding those words was easier said than done. I stared at my computer screen. Nothing. 

I picked the awesome brains of several of my RWA buddies and after reworking two scenes, I was still 500 words short.





Philadelphia is a "walkable" city. After leaving my day job one beautiful Spring afternoon, I walked through Washington Square and towards Philadelphia’s Historical District. So many sights to see, so many visitors, I hadn’t realized that I had been walking, thinking, and learning. As I strolled along Elfreth’s Alley, America’s oldest residential street, I overheard a guide tell his group that back in the time of our founding fathers, fire companies were for-profit institutions. If your house caught fire, and you hadn’t paid your dues, you were out of luck.




I browsed the gift shops at the International Visitors Bureau and the National Constitution Center than headed over to Franklin Square. By the time I returned to my bus stop, I had walked over three miles. Not only did I solve my problem with how to come up with the extra 500 words, but I got an idea for a future story, the blog post you're reading now, and an upcoming post.

Friends, when you need to think, or be inspired, what do you do?

Happy Flag Day and have a good week, Everyone!


(photos c/o facebook.com/elfrethsalleymuseum)

14 comments:

  1. When I was writing a manuscript and submitting a finished product for consideration, I kept 3 stories going. Each was a different romance sub-genre, like contemporary, history and suspense. When I'd hit a patch of what to do next, I'd hop over to another story for a week or so, allowing my subconscious to work out the problem in my WIP. Now that I'm contracted for series and the editor gives me the titles of the books I'm to write, I can't hop back and forth. I have to stay focused to meet the deadlines. For me, it means getting inside each character's head more. Knowing them almost as well as I do myself or one of my children. The length of the manuscript is in the contract, too, so I have to make sure I at least hit the minimum it states. Which is what I'm doing now. Adding a chapter that I hope will slowly bring the two closer. Oh, and I've found a good nap helps too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed a "good nap" after doing all of that walking, Vonnie. Thanks for visiting today.

      Delete
  2. WE love exploring Philadelphia, there is so much to see and some areas are beautiful. I hope you find the additional 500 words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the Spring and Summer, in Philly, the Historical District is the place to be. Thanks, Kimba, for stopping by today.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I eavesdrops on strangers. Often their conversation gets me thinking about dialogue or another plot twist. Talk it through with my dog who doesn't bother to talk back.Then, I resort to my husband who gives me all sorts of plot twists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our pets are our best sounding boards (but I often wonder what my dog is thinking while I'm talking). Thanks for stopping by and sharing, Morgan.

      Delete
  4. Whatever happens to intruded on my senses provides fodder for my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes inspiration pops up when you're not even looking for it. Thanks for stopping by, Marion.

      Delete
  5. You know, I often turn to needlepoint and work out my problems. I've heard showers are good too! LOLOL Glad all is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother used to knit to relax. Thanks, Vicki, for visiting.

      Delete
  6. I love reading all the suggestions! I love taking a walk, shower, bath, reading, running, and dancing around my house. Hmm, what else? Oh! Going for a drive.

    Another great post! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dancing around the house??? I never thought to try that! Thanks, Red, for visiting.

      Delete
  7. These suggestions are great and this is a wonderful post. Most often, I get inspiration from people, or things that happen during the day. The possibilities are endless, funny and amazing. Happy Friday! Hugs...www.intheknowwithro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great suggestions...especially Red's "dancing around the house." Thanks for visiting, RO!

      Delete