Sunday, May 17, 2015

My Misunderstood Friend, the Wolf...





Yes, he's big, but no, not bad! I find that stereotype rather annoying. I refuse to read tales like Little Red Riding Hood, and The Three Little Pigs without offering a disclaimer first. 

Wolves are highly social (with each other), protective, loving creatures, and the image portrayed over the years is a gross misinterpretation. As I once said to my little four-year-old neighbor, "wolves are more afraid of you than you should be of them."

Last week I saw the obituary for Michael Blake, who passed away in Arizona at the age of 69. Blake, who was an outspoken advocate for numerous social issues, including literacy, is best know for writing the novel, "Dances With Wolves." Published in 1988, I read "Dances With Wolves" long before seeing Kevin Costner's movie because of my love for the wolf. The film went on to win multiple Academy Awards including a Best Screenplay for Blake and Best Director for Costner.





There are many organizations offering protection to wolves in their natural environment, and refuge to those with circumstances that prevent them from surviving in the wild. If you love, and respect, wolves as much as I do, here are a few organizations you might want to check out.


Wolf Sanctuary of PA

http://wolfsanctuarypa.org/

Wolf Haven International

http://www.wolfhaven.org/

Defenders of Wildlife

http://www.defenders.org/


Anyone who may be interested in reading the novel, Dances with Wolves, I've included the Amazon link for the 2002 reissue, http://www.amazon.com/Dances-Wolves-Michael-Blake/dp/0972475303/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_y


Have a great week, Everyone!



(photos c/o facebook.com/WolfSanctuaryPA)
























8 comments:

  1. Love this, Angela! I so agree with you! The way they mate for life and are so protective of their offspring growing up could be role models for some people! :) Thanks for writing such a nice article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wolves are just magnificent! Thanks, Terry, for stopping by today!!

      Delete
  2. Wow angela, great post. Just last week, i saw a coyote along the lake road.occasionally,they take a cat or dog. Mostly they are ellisive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the post, Stephen. Thanks so much for visiting today.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Angela, I'm so glad you made this post! Both my son and I love wolves. My son and I, since we live close to Yellowstone National Park, try to see wolves and contribute to the cause of having wolves back in the park.

    I, too, get rather upset about the vilifying of the wolves in fairy tales, so I found many more that applaud the wolf. In fact, there is a very interesting tie with fairy tales grounded in women's freedom and that of a wolf. Check out WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES for more about that.

    And I'm with Terry, where I believe wolves make for wonderful role models in this day and age, where divorce is so prevalent.

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Red, for the tip on the "Women..." book and for sharing your thoughts today!

      Delete
  4. Awesome post Angela..I actual love wolves and find them to be highly intelligent and fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Kimba! Wolves are more special than humans give them credit for. Thanks for visiting today!!

      Delete