Sunday, April 5, 2015

Grandmothers are Special People...





Tuesday, April 7th is my grandmother's birthday. Although she passed away in 1998, at the age of 91, I miss her as much today as I did in the early weeks of her passing. My "Grandmom" loved Spring, especially the flowers she had all over the front of her house. It's a combination of ironic and appropriate that she would be born in her favorite season.

Grandmom was a big influence in my writing life. She was the one person who always read my childhood, handwritten stories. She bought me my first typewriter (probably because she was tired of trying to figure out my handwriting -- which hasn't improved much over the years). I still have the Little Golden Books she would buy me on trips to the "Five and Ten." The tattered paperbacks that she passed on to me still sit on my bookshelf. 

My grandmother left me her superstitions, famous words of wisdom, and I inherited her love of reading and the Philadelphia Phillies. Grandmom spent her time with one eye on the television and the other on her current book. I remember walking through the South Philly streets with her and my mother at Christmastime. Strolling we would look at the decorated houses before stopping for hot chocolate. Summer always found us sitting on the seashore boardwalk, people-watching, and eating ice cream. 

While I think of my grandmother every day, this time of year makes remembering her even more special.

"Happy birthday, Grandmom!"



(photo c/o skooterkurt @ morgueFile.com)

10 comments:

  1. It's always rough when we lose someone who has been a mentor or inspired the person we've become. Here's wishing you a day filled with joyful memories as your grandmother smiles down on you with pride and love. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were so lucky to have a caring grandmother. I didn’t. Now that I have granddaughters of my own, I want to make their experiences with me memorable in a positive way. A happy birthday wish goes out to your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Angela! I miss my grandmother too. She listened to people, could do multiple hand crafts, had the best green thumb, made great cakes. She said, "Weeellll..." and sang hymns. I remember the old farm house until she moved to a big house and then another next door to my aunt. She didn't have a/c until age 96. Her last words were to #2 son, "Be good."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet! Thanks for stopping by and sharing, Vicki.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm glad that Marion left her comment. I never felt that my grandmothers cared. I was terrified of both of them, I'm sorry to say. However, now I would love to have grandbabbies. I would love to coddle and babysit as often as possible and just love a little one again. My son's only 12 now, I have to wait a bit. Hee-hee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're son has those fabulous high school years ahead of him, Thanks, Red, for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. So touching, I had a special relationship with my grandmother as well...sounds like yours was pretty special *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of her whenever I'm in Barnes & Noble and pass the section with those "Little Golden Books." Thank for visiting, Kimba!

      Delete