Sunday, March 22, 2015

From Song to Novel?





When baseball season is in full gear, my radio is tuned in to anything Philadelphia Phillies. During the rest of the year, my radio is locked on our local "oldies" station.

Recently, I heard a song, and although I'd heard this tune many times over the last 30+ years, I had never really soaked in the words. I realized the lyrics actually made a good novel. Which got me to thinking about songs I've listened to in the past that would make an interesting read.

I've included youtube links should you want to give a listen. What do you think? Novel in the making? Is there a song you'd like to add to my list?


Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes



Cat’s in the Cradle by Harry Chapin



Honky Tonk Woman by Rolling Stones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6M77oHD110




The River by Bruce Springsteen



Have a great week, Everyone!


(photo c/o npclark2 at morgueFile.com)


10 comments:

  1. Great idea! I've used songs in scenes, but have never written a book based on the lyrics of a song. Now, my editor tells me what kind of series to write. So, I'm getting used to that loss of freedom. I did just write a scene, using my favorite Aretha Franklin song, "Respect." My aging hippie in my bear-shifter stories does what I hope readers will find a comical rendition of it. I'm hoping the 6 words of the lyrics I used won't infringe copyright issues. I'm sure my editor will let me know. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That song will have me channeling my inner Aretha Franklin all day. Thanks for stopping by, Vonnie!

      Delete
  2. Although, it has a catchy tune, the Pina Colada song would be a tearjerker in reality w/o a happy ending. The couple know so little about each other and plot on cheating on one another while they lay in bed. I see it as a crime drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear the romance suspense side of your brain clicking, Morgan (smile). Thanks for stopping by today!

      Delete
  3. Go Phillies and yes I have often thought a song would make a cool story for a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Phillies need all the love and support they can get this season. Thanks for visiting, Kimba!

      Delete
  4. the pina colada song is a favorite! harry chapin's taxi would be a good one. He kissed my cheek once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Taxi" doesn't ring a bell. I have to see if I can find it on youtube. Thanks for visiting, Vicki!

      Delete
  5. Love all these songs, and they do bring back memories, for sure. I was telling Sharonda and Ana over at Brazen Babes, that I absolutely adore music, but lately, I can't remember the name of ANY song until someone brings it to my attention. (lol) Great topic! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some mornings I wake up with a tune in my head and it stays there all day! Thanks for visiting today, RO!

      Delete