Sunday, November 9, 2014

A Salute to Our Veterans!




I had an uncle who returned from World War II with a great sadness and immense respect for those who didn't return, and a lifelong commitment to help his fellow military personnel and their families. Throughout the years my uncle was consistently active in his VFW post. He organized events for the post, ran errands for those veterans who had challenges getting around, and collected canned goods and toys at Christmas time. 

After my uncle retired from his carpentry job, he would drive Vets who could no longer drive themselves to their doctor's appointments, and he spent a couple afternoons during the week reading to those who lived in the VA nursing home. My uncle would eventually become a resident of that same nursing home, and he passed away this summer at the age of 89.

There are few greater sacrifices one could make than to leave his/her home and family, go off to a strange country, and make it their mission to keep those of us who live in this country safe.


Two simple words mean a lot to folks who deserve to hear them. So, not only on November 11th, but any day you happen to pass one of our military members, please don’t forget to say those two words. The words, “thank you.”






If you like information on organizations that help our military service personnel, I've noted a few websites.


Disabled American Veterans



Paralyzed Veterans of America



Wounded Warrior Project



The Veterans Site



USO (United Service Organization)



If you have a Veterans' organization that you'd like to add to this list, please feel free to note in the comment section. If you have a story to tell about your special Veteran, please share. We'd love to hear it.

Have a great week, Everyone!





(photo c/o www.facebook.com/TheVeteransSite)

10 comments:

  1. I too grew up with all the elder men in my family having fought in WW2 and the women at home who made sacrifices. We as a country owe them much. I salute those veterans from all branches who stood proudly for America. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great sentiments, Vicki! Thanks for stopping by today!!

      Delete
  2. My dad is a veteran. I get pretty weepy when I think about all he sacrificed. I am amazed! Thank you, Angela, for such a great and important blog! And thanks to all our veterans!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Red, please give your dad a salute and a huge "thank you" from me! Thanks so much for visiting!!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for a lovely heartfelt post. Well done. My Calvin served in the Army and has both good and bad memories of his service time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vonnie, for visiting and for your kind words! Please give Calvin and huge "thank you" from me for his service!

      Delete
  4. Your Uncle sounds wonderful. My grandfather served in the Air Force and my Dad the reserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Uncle Al was my mom's brother, and he was a very good soul. Folks like my uncle, your grandfather and dad, and all who serve in the armed forces have a special place in our hearts. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. This was a beautiful post about such a wonderful human being. Heartwarming also dedicated their blog on the 11th to Veterans. I posted about my Uncle Oscar who served in WW II at Iwo Jima. He was stationed there when his father died and his mother became sick. At no time could he leave, because it was his duty to guide the planes onto the airstrips. My grandmother died on August 14th, the day the war ended, and he was able to attend her funeral. I’ll never forget that handsome man in his army uniform, my first infatuation. Just about everyone in the family knew I was smitten with him. After he took off that uniform, though, he turned back into old Uncle Oscar.

    One of the transport ships he was on was torpedoed, and he was tossed into the ocean. A non-swimmer, he’d heard if you go down three times, you were a goner. He went down three times and woke in a hospital. I miss him and all his war stories. My hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a sweet story about your Uncle Oscar. Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

      Delete