Sunday, March 16, 2014

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!








The forecast calls for snow tomorrow on Saint Patrick's day! Since many people bake when it snows, I’m reprinting a recipe I saw last week for Irish Soda Bread. I remember my grandmother always saying, “Everybody’s Irish on St. Paddy’s Day!” Hopefully, when the snow ends tomorrow, Philly won't look like this picture...

Thank you to Rachel Allen and Parade.condenest.com for sharing the recipe. Enjoy!!



Irish Soda Bread

INGREDIENTS

3½ cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp granulated sugar

1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1½–2 cup buttermilk 

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.

2. Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in most of the buttermilk, leaving about ¼ cup in the measuring cup. Using one hand with your fingers outstretched like a claw, bring the flour and liquid together, adding more buttermilk, if necessary. Don’t knead the mixture, or it will become heavy. The dough should be soft, but not too wet and sticky.

3. When the dough comes together, turn it onto a floured work surface and bring it together a little more. Pat the dough into a round about 1½ inches thick and cut a deep cross in it. Place on a baking sheet.

4. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn down the heat to 400° and bake for 30 minutes more. When done, the loaf will sound slightly hollow when tapped on the bottom and be golden in color. I often turn it upside down for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Allow to cool on a wire rack.

(Recipe by Rachel Allen) 

Have a great week, Everyone!

                                                 photo c/o office.microsoft.com                                                         


8 comments:

  1. Great recipe! I'm so excited about St. Paddy's. I'm not Irish, but with my red hair I get made over pretty good during the celebrations. I've never had the heart to tell all the Irish I hang out with tomorrow that I'm actually Norwegian and (oh dear!) English.

    Have a great one!
    -Lani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it's going to snow on St Patrick's day! Thanks for visiting, Lani!!

      Delete
  2. I'd enjoy the bread as long as someone else bakes it. I know everyone is supposed to be Irish tomorrow, but I've never taken part in that. Maybe it's my English ancestry on my mother's side that balks. However, I do love their music, dancing and accents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m with you, Marion. I enjoy reading recipes, but I’m not the best cook or baker. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, and Happy St. Patrick's Day (or as we say in Philly, "St. Paddy's Day!")

      Delete
  4. thanks for the recipe, it was 62 yesterday but we have light snow now. I am so over winter Angela! I hope you had a nice St. Patty's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, the snow we had on Saint Patrick's Day has mostly melted. I'm looking forward to Spring. Thanks so much for visiting!

      Delete