Sunday, February 23, 2014

"...And The Oscar Didn't Go To..."




As the east coast snow forced us to stay close to home last week, I spent some time watching the Turner Classic Movie channel. It’s their tradition, for the few weeks leading up to the Academy Awards, to present “31 days of Oscar.” During those days, the cable channel schedules movies and performances that were nominated for Oscars.

I caught several of my favorite movies and performances which I felt should have been Oscar winners, but weren’t.  I’ve always been disappointed that while nominated for Best Picture, two great movies, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and Field of Dreams, walked away without the statute. Another Field of Dreams disappointment was James Earl Jones not even receiving a Supporting Actor nomination for his performance of Terrence Mann (Mr. Jones did receive an Honorary Academy Award in 2011). No other actor could have played the "Terry Mann" role in that movie.

Another frustrating oversight was Henry Fonda not being rewarded for his performance in Mister Roberts (like Mr. Jones, he also received an Honorary Academy Award. He later won Best Actor for On Golden Pond). How could anyone bypass Mr. Fonda as Doug Roberts?

Not only did Natalie Wood never receive an Oscar, her performance as Gypsy Rose Lee in Gypsy, was one of the best in movie history (well, actually, it’s a toss-up with her portrayal of Deanie in Splendor in the Grass).

Since I always enjoying hearing your thoughts, are there any films or performances in movie history you felt should have received an Oscar, but didn’t?

Thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful week, Everyone...

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. bummer, I am sad I missed this event but will watch for it next year. I am often surprised when a brilliant actor or actress is overlooked for an Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder if there's any truth to the sentiment -- "it's an honor just to be nominated." Thanks for visiting today!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I LOVE movies, so you'd think I would watch the Oscars, but I don't. I don't even know if my favorite movies made it to the Oscars. Maybe I should start watching the Oscars, huh?
    -Lani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch the actual ceremony, but I do follow the movies that have been nominated. Thanks for stopping by, Lani!

      Delete
  3. The last time I paid attention to the Academy Awards was when the first movie of Star Wars appeared (which was really the sixth in the series?). My children and I loved that movie and Star Wars did receive awards. But there are times when I don't understand how some people received an award and it frustrates me. So I don't watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally wait until after the awards – then go see the winners! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete