Sunday, January 19, 2014

A Leisurely Snow Day...


Here, in Philly, we started out 2014 with a snow storm – a brutally cold,windy snow storm – which resulted in most of us having a “snow day.” Many operations in the city were either closed or operated at half pace.  I spent the day at home, drinking hot chocolate, doing a little writing, and watching television.

While channel surfing, I came across, “The Natural,” about fifteen minutes into the movie. Despite having seen “The Natural” at least 110 times, it has three of my favorite components: a good story, baseball, and Robert Redford...Never mind that I have the movie on VHS and DVD, so I can watch it whenever I want, I settled back to watch “Roy Hobbs,” for the 111th time.
 
 
 
There are some movies that although I’ve seen before and even keep on the middle shelf of my bookcase, I’m compelled to stop whatever I’m doing and watch when I see it’s on television. I almost feel a bit of disrespect to miss it or change the channel.  The same sentiment I hold for “The Natural” is reserved for other classics like "The Way We Were," "Field of Dreams,"and "E.T. The Extraterrestrial." And although I recently spent part of a rainy Saturday with "You’ve Got Mail" on DVD, I still couldn’t resist watching it on television a few days later.

I guess I feel the same affection for these movies as I do for friends and relatives. Movies, like people you love, you just can't turn away.

Are there any movies out there that you can watch over and over again? Please feel free to share.

Have a good week, Everyone!


                                                                            ("baseball" photo c/o IconBug.com)

12 comments:

  1. I am the same way with certain movies as in my hubby. In fact Sixteen Candles and Pretty in Pink where on the telly this weekend and before ya know it we were both in front of the tv quoting our favorite lines and laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharing movies is the best...thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  2. Yes, there are several. I particularly like romances and these are the ones I have on DVD's: Wimbledon, Quigley, Dan in Real Life, New in Town, Leap Year, Tootsie, Catch and Release, Something Borrowed, My Life in Ruins. Besides taking me on journeys all over the world, they are always entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great list! Thanks for stopping by and sharing!

      Delete
  3. #2 son and I were cruising thru movies this afternoon and saw "The Natural" was on. I consider this to be one of the best baseball movies. I adore "Rear Window," "Indiana Jones," the original "Star Wars." Just watched another Hitchcock film last night, "Lifeboat," and love his "Rebecca" and "Suspicion." I'm a sucker for romantic comedies, too. hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why, but for some reason my favorite Hitchcock movie is "The Birds." Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

      Delete
  4. Now I HAVE to watch "The Natural." It's been on my list forever, and I'm a wee bit in love with Redford, like a bazilion other people. So, yeah, gotta watch that.

    For me I love romantic comedies or feel good movies. "Love Actually," I could see again and again. Gosh, I can't think of another, which means it's time to turn on the TV!

    Great post, Angela!
    -Lani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably have another day in front of the television this week. They're calling for more snow here in Philly on Tuesday night -- and they're talking s-n-o-w. Thanks so much for stopping by, Lani.

      Delete
  5. Gone with the Wind is my classic go to movie. My grandmother and I both adored Clark Gable. Next is Shirley Valentine, a British flick that speaks to me. My current favorite is Looking for a Friend for the End of the World with Steve Carrel, It is touching and crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister is a big Clark Gable fan...Clark Gable is to her what Robert Redford is to me. Thanks for visiting, Morgan.

      Delete
  6. You've Got Mail, too, for this girl :) I also love Now and Then, and Sandlot. Oh, and Serendipity, yes! I adore that movie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Now and Then," I've seen…yes, that's a good one, too. The other two you mentioned, I have to check out. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete