Sunday, December 8, 2013

.....Music of the Season.....

I've often mentioned my need for a radio playing in the background while I write. During Baseball season, I'm either listening to a Phillies' game, a Phillies' player discuss the game, or some Baseball analyst critiquing both. Once the Phillies' season is over, my radio dial clicks to the Classic Rock/Oldies station. 



But, during this time of year, you'll hear nothing but Christmas music coming from my "writing cave" (a term I learned from fellow RWA member, Jennifer Faye). We are fortunate here in Philly to have a radio station that plays 24 hour Christmas music starting the weekend before Thanksgiving and continuously into Christmas.

The other day, when I was having a "writer block/brain freeze" moment, I just sat back and concentrated on the music, a block of ballads, "O Holy Night," "What Child is This?," "The Christmas Song" (which nobody can sing like Nat King Cole -- that tune is his song!)... Each time a song started, I said "oh, I love this song!"

When the arc was over -- and the commercial began to play -- the "brain freeze" had defrosted.






Is there anyone else out there who has a favorite Christmas song (or songs!)? Do you gravitate toward the songs that make you teary-eyed or the ones that make you feel "jolly" and "bright?" And, if so, have you ever considered what about that song makes it so appealing?

...Until next Sunday, have a safe and happy week, Everyone!


                                                                                                      (photos c/o office.microsoft.com)

2 comments:

  1. This will be my second Christmas without my brother. Last year his death was new, I don't even remember Christmas. This year, I'm recovering a bit, but I found myself tearing up in the grocery store when Jingle Bells played. As kids, we'd sing it as loud as we could in the back of the car. It's a wonder my parents didn't make us walk home more often.

    I love all the songs, but my brother and I would sing "Mele Kalikimaka" especially well. I'd be his backup singer and dancer, complete with hula hips. Ha! I miss him very much, but I started to sing that song for my son. He thinks I'm a nut, but he laughs and starts to sing along. Mainly because I force him to. Ha-ha!

    Great post, Angela!
    -Lani

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet and touching, Lani. "Mele Kalikimaka" is played regularly on our Christmas station here in Philly. I think I hear you singing (smile!)
    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete