Sunday, November 17, 2013

Are You Superstitious?


Earlier in the week I received what I call a "chatty" email from one of my RWA chapter mates, the kind where we try in a few paragraphs to catch up with what's happening on each other's end of the keyboard. She asked if I was working on another book. She's not the first one to ask that question of late.

I replied "yes," told her the number of pages I've completed, then moved on to the next part of her email. I don't really talk about current projects because I'm superstitious. When I was writing Magic Moment, those around me only knew on a "need to know" basis -- for example, if I needed a proofreader. My mother didn't even know about the book until she saw the Crimson cover. I feel that if I start discussing a current WIP (work in progress), it will never materialize. Especially in light of all the stops and starts with this project because while writing a new novel, I'm promoting a current one. That's a new experience for me.

Big baseball fan that I am, I once read that during a game, if it's the sixth or seventh inning and a pitcher hasn't given up a hit, no one in the dugout will mention the possibility of a "no hitter" or "perfect" game (a really big deal -- just ask Phillies' Roy Halladay and Carlos Ruiz!). Everyone is thinking about it, but keeps the thought to himself. Almost as if someone utters the words...Well, I think you get my drift.

So, I concentrate my writing conversations right now on promoting Magic Moment, and my hopes that those who read the book will enjoy it.

But, it does make me wonder if anyone else out there has superstitions. Please feel free to share.

Thank you to "Book Bliss" for hosting this week's stop on Magic Moment's tour. To check out  "Book Bliss," visit, http://lbookbliss.com/





Tomorrow is the final stop in the tour. Join us at "The Reading Addict." Please stop by and comment for a chance to win your choice of a $25 Gift Card to Starbucks or Barnes & Noble. Visit, http://thereadingaddict-elf.blogspot.com/

Since I check out tour stops throughout the entire week, I'll notify the winners on Saturday, November 23rd.

Finally, a special SHOUT-OUT "thank you" to the folks at Goddess Fish Promotions for putting the tour together. You're awesome!

Have a great week, Everyone.

10 comments:

  1. Good Morning,
    I have walked under ladders and had my path crossed by a black cat. I used to have a black cat. LOL

    Always worked hard not break mirrors, mainly to avoid picking up all the pieces. I do say "bless you," when someone sneezes, which is derived from the belief that the soul can leave the body during a sneeze. The expression, which was originally God bless you is to keep the soul in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that about "bless you." I always learn something from you, Morgan. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. When my second novel was accepted for publication, I didn't tell a soul about it, from fear of jinxing the deal. My mother was extremely superstitious so I come by it honestly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you got the sentiment from your mother, Rayne, I may have gotten mine from my grandmother. She would always say, "don't go telling everyone your business." Thanks for visiting today.

      Delete
  3. When I read the title of your blog, at first I thought I wasn't superstitious, but when thinking more about it, I realize I'm a weird believer in Karma. I believe in being very kind in reviewing other books, then I'll get good reviews too. I know it doesn't work that way, but something in me still hopes.
    -Lani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lani, you may just think like my grandmother. She would always say, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." (as you can probably tell, my grandmother was a big influence on me). Thank you so much for stopping by today.

      Delete
  4. Cute post. I can't think of any superstitions about writing. But I do agree that many times talking about a story can take away the pressure to put it down on paper. Have to go with what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only person I talk to about a WIP is "me." (smile). Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Congrats Angela, on a beautiful cover! And I totally understand your superstition about WIPs...happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rashada, thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. I appreciate your good wishes!!

    ReplyDelete