Sunday, September 8, 2013

Autumn Contest Update

Writing contests are an awesome resource for writers. I will forever be grateful to someone I've never met -- a judge who offered suggestions on Magic Moment.  I took his/her advice, rewrote several chapters, and next thing I knew Crimson Romance was offering me a contract.

Contest feedback is often beneficial, and winning -- or even being a finalist -- enhances your author resume.  Generally, agents and editors are final judges, and you never know when your writing might "click" with one of them.





If you have any contest stories, please feel free to share.  In the meantime, here are some important upcoming contest deadlines:

The Suzannah (sponsored by NOLA STARS)

Open to unpublished writers; deadline October 1, 2013; first 7,200 words includes a synopsis; visit, http://www.nolastars.com




Finish The Damn Book (in memory of Judi McCoy,
         sponsored by Chesapeake Romance Writers)

Open to unpublished and published writers; open to non-RWA members; deadline October 31, 2013; up to 40 pages maximum which includes first chapter and last chapter and five page synopsis; visit, http://www.crwrwa.org



28th Annual Hook, Line & Sinker (sponsored by Hudson
        Valley RWA) 

Open to unpublished writers; deadline November 1, 2013; first three pages of unpublished manuscript; visit, http://www.hudsonvalleyrwa.com


Good luck to all! Oh, and a big "SHOUT- OUT" to Mona Lisa's Room author, Vonnie Davis. I'm grateful to Vonnie for passing the Microsoft address on to me, and I was able to find the lovely pictures for this blog! Thanks, Vonnie!



For more information on Mona Lisa's Room, winner of the 2013 HOLT Medallion Award of Merit for Best Romantic Suspense, visit, http://bit.ly/MonaLisasRoomeBook


 


                                                                                                           
                                                                                                                    (photos c/o office.microsoft.com)

6 comments:

  1. Awesome writing contests!!! Thank you for sharing them AND your blog, Angela! :) I in turn shared to my readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Rosanne. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Contests are a great way to up your skill levels. My first contest entry did not fare well at all. I learned a lot. As a result, I knew the areas I needed to improve upon...and, boy, were there many. Over the past few years, I've judged a lot of contests, too, hoping to pass along some of what I've learned. Love your pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, many of those who judge initial rounds are volunteers. They give up their time to help and support others. So, thank you, Vonnie, for volunteering and for sharing!

      Delete
  3. I love contests - awaiting the results of The Molly, right now. I belonged to Hudson Valley when the Hook, Line and Sinker started and judged the contests for many years. I feel anyone who can follow through with the requirements of that contest will have a great opening for their book.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marion, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and "The Molly!" Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete