Sunday, August 18, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me!


This week I celebrated another birthday. Since I stop counting them at 29, I can't tell you which one. My cousin, who will celebrate his birthday in November, called me as he usually does to wish me a "happy day!"

When I was a little girl, with my birthday being in August, my family took that week to head down to the New Jersey shore for our vacation. I'm not just talking about my mom, dad, and sister, but my entire family of grandmother, aunts, uncles, and cousins. We all stayed on the same block, our rented bungalows within "shouting" distance of each other. My cousin likes to remind me of how my sister and I bickered because she wanted me to go in the ocean with her. I preferred to stay on the beach and either build castles in the sand, or read a book.

Rather than catching up on the present, my cousin and I spent the entire conversation talking of those days, and how much we missed them along with family members who are no longer with us (Grandmom, you were at the top of the list!).

That conversation also gave me the idea for this week's post. Friends, please share your birthday thoughts. Tell us of your favorite birthday memory, or how you enjoy celebrating your birthday! Sharing memories is a joy.

Have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Angela! I've celebrated one birthday on a cruise with my family and loved every minute of it. I celebrated moving into our house on my birthday. And at 15, my first boy/girl party with, yes, you guessed, spin the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great memories! Have you ever considered writing a short YA story on that first boy/girl party? Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  2. Happy belated birthday!

    You have some really great memories. That's awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were some great days. All these years later, my sister still likes to swim in the ocean, and I still like to stay on the beach reading a book. Thank you, Jennifer, for your good wishes!

      Delete