Sunday, July 21, 2013

Recalling Favorite Children's Books

Yesterday, I posted on my Facebook page the following --

If you live in Philly, near Philly, or better yet make a special trip to Philly and check outThe Snowy Day and the Art of Ezra Jack Keats,” July 19-October 20, 2013 at the National Museum of American Jewish History. Ezra Jack Keats is a beloved children’s author, and “The Snowy Day” is one of my all-time favorite children’s books. For more information, http://www.nmajh.org/SpecialExhibitions/#keats


Explaining the concept of The Snowy Day to a colleague got me thinking about the value of reading to children, children's books in general, and some of my favorite children's books. Here’s my countdown – five, four, three, two, one…

Angela’s Favorite Children's Books

5.  Horton Hears A Who! by Dr. Seuss, a story about kindness
4.  The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf, a peace-loving bull teaches us about the tranquility in life
3.  The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats, the beauty and peace of the small things in life

2.  Corduroy by Don Freeman, the entire series – I can’t pick just one

1.  The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams – reminds me why I still have my stuffed dog, Little Girl, after all these years.

Please feel free to comment and share your favorites! I love hearing your thoughts!!
Have a good week!

2 comments:

  1. Madeline. One of my all time favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve never read any of the books, but I remember taking my godchild to see the movie – she’s in college now and I’m feeling very old. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete