Sunday, July 14, 2013

Reading Christmas...


I love Christmas. Without focusing on the religious aspect of the holiday, I'm talking about the joy, anticipation, and good cheer the season brings. I love wandering through the stores and seeing the children all excited, waiting to see Santa Claus. I enjoy strolling through my city streets and "oohing" and "aahing" over the lights and decorations. One memory, from my kindergarten days that remains with me is a tradition of every Friday night during Advent (the four weeks leading to Christmas) walking with my mother and grandmother through South Philly’s small streets (Friday night was my father’s bowling league night).  We’d scrutinize the houses along the way, all lit and decorated, and stop at the  “Five and Ten” (aka Woolworth’s). Refreshments were tea for my mom, coffee for my grandmother, and hot chocolate for me. After we warmed up, we’d start the trek home.
Time has altered the tradition. Woolworth’s is no more. Grandmom passed away several years ago. Mom isn’t as agile as she was when I was in Kindergarten. Dad walks with a cane and doesn’t bowl any longer. Now, it’s me walking the streets, admiring the decorations on my own. Not on a Friday, but a Thursday on my way home from the library after meeting with my book club.

Whether it’s nostalgia for those days, the season, or needing to look at the snow on a book cover to keep cool during a July heat wave (as my Mom insists), I can read Christmas books any time.
How about you?
Here are some Christmas releases for your TBR list. If you have a Christmas book to recommend, please comment and let us know.

Happy Holidays!
 

 
When the owner of a Christmas tree stand, which benefits the children's hospital, has a heart attack, a do-gooder and a reformed high school delinquent turned lawyer show their holiday spirit and staff the business. Over the course of the season, the twosome meet the challenges of running the establishment and begin to fall for each other; however, when the revenue goes missing, fingers are pointed.

http://www.amazon.com/Twinkle-Lights-ebook/dp/B00AJ07Y8M/ref=pd_sim_kstore_3


 

Dedicated to her patients, the serious Dr. Madelyn Ramsay never had time for fun. An unexpected health problem jolts her into the realization that there's more to life than just work. She longs to surrender to the magic of Christmas. But can she handle the charming and secretive Dr. Nick Preston who carries his own package of disillusions? Can she allow two newborn twins to worm their way into her heart?

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Babies-Holiday-Series-ebook/dp/B00AEXOO6Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-





Tina has a tendency to go a little overboard when decorating for the holidays, but Brian decides her skills are just what he needs to get into the Christmas spirit. Can this budding relationship survive when they find themselves in a knock-down-drag-out competition to win the office’s “most outrageous holiday sweater?”

10 comments:

  1. Hi Angela, I enjoyed reading your memories of Christmas time. What an interesting idea: Christmas in summer through books. Thank you for using my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Mona. Each time I see your book cover, I fall more and more in love with this babies!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Angela! and thank you for featuring my story. I have such a big time at Christmas. I have specific movies to watch and of course, Charlie Brown and Rudolph! I like to drive around and look at lights. Geez! only five months to go. VBG and shush-already shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Vicki. My favorite Christmas movie is "Miracle on 34th Street." Hey, we just found a topic for another blog post (smile!).

      Delete
    2. Since men rule at my house, we always watch "Stalag 17". lol

      Delete
  3. I love reading Christmas themed books during Christmas time. But you came up with a great idea!

    Love your list of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nas!

      That is a great group of books. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Summer in Texas! Need I say more for why I like Christmas?

    Liese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Liese,

      I think we got some of that Texas weather here in Philadelphia. It's very hot and humid. "Frosty" would be melting. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete