Sunday, June 30, 2013

Visiting “Philly”

Earlier in the week I opened an email from a college pal. Her colleague, the email read, was planning to visit Philadelphia late in July and wanted to squeeze in a visit to some of the city’s historical sites. She asked for a recommendation since I was born and raised in the city.

That was a tough question to answer for several reasons. One, I’m uncomfortable making recommendations, especially for someone I don’t know. Two, the email didn’t mention how much time she had for site seeing (but the word “squeeze” had me concluding “not much”). And, three, I love the city's historic section, and asking me to choose among all the places available is like asking a parent to choose her favorite child.
My response to the email was to forward the website address for the Independence Visitors Center, located at 599 Market Street (telephone: 800-537-7676, summer hours: 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily). You can leave the Visitors Center and nearly all of the significant historic sites are within walking distance of each other.

Given my fondness for the section of the city we call, “Olde City,” I’ve spent many a Sunday with friends strolling around, seeing the sites, and snacking from the fabulous vendors and bistros in the area.

Since America’s “birthday” is only a few days away, I thought I’d use this blog post to note a few of my favorite historic sites (and pretend I’m walking through the Olde City streets slurping a water ice). This list is not inclusive, and I apologize in advance to those sites I left out.
Independence Mall, 520 Chestnut Street (the Declaration of Independence was given the “go-ahead” here).
Carpenter’s Hall, 320 Chestnut Street (where the First Continental Congress met).
Declaration House, 4 South 7th Street (Thomas Jefferson rented rooms while in Philadelphia and drafted the Declaration of Independence).
The Liberty Bell, 526 Market Street (“The Liberty Bell” speaks for itself).
For more information on Philadelphia’s historic sites, visit the Independence Visitors Center website,
If you plan to visit Philadelphia, and need information on hotels, restaurants, museums, anything regarding your stay, check out,
Best wishes to everyone for a safe and happy, July 4th Holiday!
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angela,
    My favorite place to visit when chaperoning a youth trip was the Ben Franklin museum. He was such a talented man, but all we really know are the results of a smear campaign by Samuel Adams who was running for president. He painted Ben to be a womanizer when he really was devoted to his common-law wife Deborah who he met in his teens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Ben's museum is a fabulous place -- and, perfect for school trips. Thanks for stopping by and giving us a bit of American history on the eve of July 4th (smile!).

      Delete