Sunday, April 7, 2013

Happy Birthday, Grandmom!

As many of you know, either from talking with me or reading an interview I've done, my grandmother was a big influence in my writing life.  She was the one person who always read my childhood, handwritten stories.  She bought me my first typewriter (probably because she was tired of decrypting my handwriting -- which hasn't improved much over the years).  I still have some tattered paperbacks on my bookshelf that she passed on to me, along with her opinion, once she'd finished reading them.

From "Grandmom," I inherited two life-long passions, reading and the Philadelphia Phillies.

My grandmother passed away in 1998, a few weeks before her 91st birthday.  She left a paperback, complete with bookmark halfway through, on her night table.  Today, April 7th, is her birthday.  And, I'm sometimes sad that she wasn't here to see my first novel, Magic Moment, published.  Or to have gone through the process with me.  "Grandmom" would have made a great critique partner. 

So, "happy birthday, Grandmom!  Wherever you are, I know you have a paperback on your night table...as you tinker with your Kindle or Nook!"

7 comments:

  1. Angela, Wonderful to hear that your grandmother holds a special place in your heart, and that she helped foster your love of books. As far as those Phillies, well, lets hope their pitchers can pull it off this year! Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Renee,

      Thanks for stopping by on my grandmother's birthday. On top of my bookshelf, I have a photo of "Grandmom" and me taken the Christmas before she passed away. In the background, you can see the paperback she was reading on her table.

      By the way, the deleted comment was from me. I need to have another cup of coffee, so that I can spell this morning.

      Have a great day, Renee. And, thanks again, for checking out my blog post!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very sweet post! It sounds like your grandmother was very special. It's wonderful that she shared her love of reading with you. My grandmother was a big reader too. I wonder if that played into my love of writing. Never thought about it until you mentioned it.

    Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jennifer,

      I'm glad I gave you some "food for thought," and the opportunity to consider your grandmother's influence. Thanks for checking out my blog post, and have a great Sunday! The weather here in Philly is 61 degrees and beautiful. Hope it's just as great where you are.

      Delete
  4. So happy You have memorable memories of your grandmother. That's what I want to be, someone my granddaughters will remember favorably. We share a love of books and music that will continue long after I'm gone.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "With you as a grandmom, your granddaughters have the ideal "grandmother." They are so lucky.

      Thanks for checking out my blog post.

      Delete