Saturday, March 2, 2013

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

Ask any child, may he or she be in preschool or kindergarten, “Who is Theodor Seuss Geisel?”  You’ll most likely receive a blank stare and a “huh.”  But ask, “Who is Dr. Seuss?”  Boisterous shouts of “Green Eggs and Ham,” "Horton," and “the Grinch” are sure to be heard.  Dr. Seuss books are just as recognizable to children as pictures of their Grandma and Grandpa.

Born Theodor Seuss Geisel on March 2, 1904, “Dr. Seuss” has written some of the best know, and most loved, children stories of all time.  Nestled on the top row of my bookcase is an entire shelf dedicated to Dr. Seuss books.  What I find so appealing about Dr. Seuss, aside from the fact that his rhyming verse is fun to read, is that children are learning principles and integrity at an early age without having an adult sermonize to them.   
I don’t want to get “preachy," here.  But I recommend you pick out a Dr. Seuss book (you don’t even need a preschooler around) may it be The Lorax, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, or Horton Hears a Who!” or any of the other great Dr. Seuss reads.  After closing the book, find what we call “the moral of the story.”

And, “Happy Birthday, Doc!  Many thanks for the hours of reading pleasure you bring to young and old.”

6 comments:

  1. My favorite is Green Eggs and Ham (I even have Green Egg and Ham socks!). It teaches that we should always try something new. Plus it's a lot of fun to read out loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tricia,

      Great Eggs and Ham socks! That is so cool!! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  2. My favourite is the Sneeches. (The star bellied sneeches had bellies with stars but the plain bellied sneeches had none upon thars(and peoplewonder why grannar is not my strong point. As for green eggs and Ham-- There is a chicken that lays pale green eggs(taste the same) not sure of the breed but its something like anaconda chickens--they are really ugly but cute at the same time. I almost bought one once butapparently even among chickens they have a reputation for being stupid. But I loved Dr Suess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dory,

      I've heard of such a thing as being "ugly, but cute" --a friend of mine once referred to a dog in the park as being "so ugly, it was cute." Thank you so much for checking out my blog.

      Delete
  3. I read "Green Eggs & Ham" to my granddaughter dozens of times. We'd go into a restaurant and order omelets with green chilies and call it her green eggs and ham breakfast.

    Dr. Seuss was one of the first authors I became familiar with because people, usually at the library, would ask if we were related only because our names were similar. Even with different spellings, I couldn't use my maiden name as a writer, because Suess would get confused with Dr. Seuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of preschools will make green eggs and ham to celebrate. The kids put green food coloring in the eggs and scramble them. Thanks so much for sharing the story with your name.

      Delete