Sunday, December 2, 2012

Getting Some Reading Accomplished...


I hope everyone had a happy and relaxing Thanksgiving holiday.  While at home for four days, when not visiting with friends and family, I worked at making a dent in my "to be read" list. 

Jean Adams’ A Man Like Saxon is a leisurely read.  Or as I said to my mom, “a sit-down-with-a-pot-of-tea book."  Set in pictorial New Zealand, our heroine, Danielle, has a trauma in her life.  She’s lonely and withdrawn.  Saxon, a man who knows how to make an entrance, “drops” into her life (and her heart).

Blurb for A Man Like Saxon:

Danielle Montgomery lives with a terrible secret. A secret that has destroyed her dreams and binds her to a life of loneliness. She has learned never to wish for anything more, her feet are permanently planted on her brother's New Zealand farm.

When film director Saxon Wainwright suddenly appears, wanting to film his next movie on the property, he blows Danielle's narrow little world apart. He's more than a little intrigued by Danielle and sets his sights on winning her affection.

Is Saxon the nemesis Danielle's been expecting--or the key to her freedom? Will Saxon be able to convince Danielle that sometimes wishes bring happiness?

 
Excerpt:
 
However famous he might be, she wasn’t happy about this stranger knowing so much about their private business. She faced him squarely, defiance and suspicion overruling her fantasies. Why was this director in such a hurry to settle a deal she hadn’t even agreed to? She wouldn’t do anything until she’d discussed it with Paul. There could be all kinds of hidden snags.
“I would call, Mr. Wainwright, if I knew where they were, but they’re touring England and their itinerary is sketchy.”
Air hissed through his teeth on an impatient sigh. “Surely you have some idea where he is. Every day I delay costs me—costs the company—money.”
Neither was the film’s budget any of her concern. “All I know is that they’re somewhere in the west of England.”
Her answer clearly irritated him. His eyes narrowed into icy slits, and his lips compressed into a tight line. “How the hell can they afford such an extravagant vacation when this place needs cash so badly?”
Indignation washed through her. The heat of annoyance crawled up her neck and over her face. “That’s none of your damned business.”
His question didn’t sound like one of concern, or even genuine interest. It was more that of a man who easily lost patience with anything that might stand in his way. And he looked like a man who had to have his own way.
“Does that mean if I want to make my movie on this land I have to deal with you?”
        "Yes, Mr. Wainwright,” she said, aware of the note of smugness in her
voice. “I’m afraid it does.”
 
 
 
 
For an "inside look" and more information, check out the link on Amazon --
http://www.amazon.com/A-Man-Like-Saxon-ebook/dp/B009KC28AO/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_2
 Jean Adams' website    http://www.jeandrew.co.nz
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. This book sounds quite intriguing. Danielle isn't going to be pushed around and I like that.
    Marion Ekholm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Marion. Along with being a good read, "A Man Like Saxon" is a fast read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, I would so love to get caught up with several books that have been languishing on my nightstand...Maybe I should start bringing a book in the car for when I'm waiting for kids...? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Misty! I always say to myself, "so many good books out there, and so little time to read them." Thanks for checking out my blog.

      Delete
  4. A-sit-down-with-a-pot-of-tea book sounds lovely. I always enjoy hearing about good books, and this one sounds like a winner! Happy December, Angela and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy December to you, too, Liana. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete