Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Good Proofreader Is As Important As A Good Friend


As much as I worship my computer, it can’t do everything.  Which is why I always need a proofreader.  I seem to type “I would like to have on drink, please” when I mean to type “I would like to have one drink, please. “ 
Neither my computer or me seems to catch the “on” when I mean “one” no matter how many times I read a piece of writing.
One of my best proofreaders, and friends, is Liana Laverentz.  Liana, Karen Rose Smith and I were critique partners way back in the 90s before there was email, computers, and I was typing stories on an electric typewriter.   And, recently, when an agent showed an interest in a manuscript, Liana proofread for me (picking up on that “I would like to have on drink, please”).   Liana also reminds me that it's "blonde" for a female, and "blond" for a male.
She has been a “good” friend and advisor, and just saying “thank you,” really isn’t saying enough. 
Liana is a multi-award winning author.  Published by The Wild Rose Press, Liana’s first novel, Thin Ice, was an EPPIE winner for Best Contemporary Romance and New Jersey’s Romance Writers’ Golden Leaf Award.  Her second novel, Jake’s Return, was also a Golden Leaf winner.   Her third book, Ashton’s  Secret, was also published by The Wild Rose Press.

Blurb from Thin Ice:

The last thing Emily Jordan needs in her life is a man, and certainly not one who uses his fists in his work. Her father hit her mother, and Emily’s already made the mistake of marrying a man who seemed to be a dream come true, but proved to be no better. An emergency room doctor and volunteer at a women’s shelter, she sees more than enough of the results of violence in the world, and has no use for anybody who contributes to it.
When she treats Eric Cameron in her ER after a bar brawl, her opinions of men in general seem to be confirmed. It isn’t until she meets Eric outside her eight-year-old son’s school after Eric gives a talk against using drugs and alcohol, that Emily learns he’s a hockey player, and her son’s newest idol. Robbie has been begging her to let him play hockey for months, and has now enlisted his new friend Eric, captain of the struggling Minneapolis Saints, to help him convince Emily to let him play.
Eric Cameron is more than willing to be Robbie’s ally. He’s never met a woman who intrigued him so much. Emily Jordan has it all…brains and beauty, a home of her own, a career she excels at, a son who adores her, and loving friends and family to help her bring it all together in a way Eric has longed for ever since he was a kid living over the ramshackle bar his mom ran when his dad ran out on them. He realized early on that hockey was going to be his only way out of spending his life busting up barfights.

Jake’s Return Blurb:

The last person small town bad boy Jacob Donovan expects to find when he returns home in disgrace after serving time is Rebecca Reed, head librarian. Rebecca had always had much bigger ambitions. Jake hadn’t wanted to stand in her way, so after one night of passion with his former best friend, he’d hit the open road.
Rebecca refuses to believe Jake is guilty of murder. The boy who’d been her friend and protector when they were town outcasts together could never have killed a woman. Not to mention the tender, loving man who’d given her their daughter, Katie.
But who is Jake now? That’s what everyone wants to know, including the town council chairman, who is determined to send Jake back to prison, by any means available.
Jake’s been running from love for all of his life. Will he find the courage to defeat his demons and stay this time?

All three of Liana’s books are available through The Wild Rose Press http://thewildrosepress.com

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Angela,

    Thank you so much for spotlighting me and my work. It's been a privilege and a pleasure keeping in touch all these years. Congratulations on your publishing success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liana, you are as kind as your words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Angela! I know just what you mean when the computer doesn't find a mistake. Then it's only after I send it off to someone that I find it! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I've had wonderful critique partners who help me find missing words, typos and sentences that don't make sense. It's truly great when you can find that kind of help.
    Marion Ekholm

    ReplyDelete